The Centre for Judicial Cooperation, in collaboration with its partners, announces the call for participation for legal professionals to take part in the following Transnational Training Workshop:
– 22 & 23 February 2021 (9.30-12.30) – Procedural Rights in the EU and Effective Legal Protection, European University Institute
The ‘Transnational Training Workshop’, involving legal practitioners from EU Member States, will take place in the framework of the Cross-Justice Project, coordinated by University of Bologna (for more details about the project, please visit the webpage: https://site.unibo.it/cross-justice/it).
This workshop aims to improve knowledge on the implementation of the six Directives on Procedural Rights of accused and suspected persons (Directives 2010/64/EU, 2012/13/EU, 2013/48/EU, 2016/343/EU, 2016/800/EU, 2016/1919/EU) in the legal practice of the Member States. It will in particular explore different areas of criminal law related to the access to justice as well as the right to an effective remedy. To achieve these objectives, a selection of the most relevant drawbacks of the procedural rights’ protection in criminal proceedings will be analyzed during the transnational training events.
The Transnational Training will be devoted to the following topics surrounding criminal proceedings and European Arrest Warrant proceedings: the right to interpretation and translation, the right to information, the right to be present at trial, the procedural safeguards for suspect and accused children, the presumption of innocence in criminal proceedings, the right of legal aid and the right to access to a lawyer and to have a third party informed upon deprivation of liberty.
The event is particularly aimed at:
- Lawyers/ representatives of bar associations
- Judicial/prosecuting authorities
- Legal Officers
- NGO Operators
- Researchers/academics in the field of Criminal Justice and Fundamental Rights
A maximum of 15 applicants will be selected for participation. The Centre for Judicial Cooperation will select eligible participants among the received applications. Applicants are invited to submit the following documents by the 8th of February to firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com :
- A full CV in English;
- Proof of English language skills (certificates, original publications in English, proof of university studies in English or other)
- A brief motivation letter in English explaining the candidate’s reasons of applying, how he or she would benefit from and contribute to the project. This letter should not merely restate the candidate’s CV.
Applicants will be notified about the result of the selection process by 15th of February 2021.