Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the information exchange between law enforcement authorities of Member States, repealing Council Framework Decision 2006/960/JHA
On 8 December 2021, the European Commission presented a proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on information exchange between law enforcement authorities of Member States, repealing Council Framework Decision 2006/960/JHA.Based on the summary of the impact assessment the European Commission identified three main issues to be solved:
- National rules do not allow the effective and efficient flow of information;
- In certain circumsances the Member States do not have the appropriate structures to receive information requests from other Member States;
- The different channels used by national authorities to send information requests cause the duplication of these requests.
To address these issues, the initiative of the European Commission aims to:
- enable the access for law enforcement authorities to information held in another Member State;
- ensure that all the Member States have a single point of contact;
- create a mandatory default communication channel.
type: Proposal for a Directive
Reference number: COM(2021) 782 final
Issue date: 08-12-21
Uploads: COM(2021) 782 final